1. Toothpaste: The obvious one. Everyone has tried this, yet no one (including me) can really say that it did anything more than dry their skin out.
2. Turmeric: Supposedly this natural acne treatment has been around for hundreds of years. While rubbing turmeric all over my face successfully turned my skin the color of curry, it did little to clear my zits.
3. Honey: Message boards tout this sticky stuff as a cure-all miracle. Here’s the recipe: simply slather honey on your skin and let it sit for a while. The positive side effects are not only clear skin, but radiant skin! My results? I still had acne, but I did smell like honey for a really long time (I can’t say that this was a terrible side effect…).
4. Potatoes: Grate a potato, rub it all over your face in circular motions, let it sit for 30 minutes and say hello to clear skin! No, root vegetables will not cure your acne breakouts either.
5. Lemon Juice: Something about the acidity and reducing redness…? I don’t know. If I remember correctly, I cut a lemon in half and sat with it on my face for a half hour while watching TV. By the end of the show, my acne was still there..
6. Apple Cider Vinegar: I know I’m not the only person who has tried this. Drinking it, applying it, bathing in it…Apple Cider Vinegar and skin go together like peanut butter and jelly. Sadly, this was another natural acne treatment fail. I’m pretty sure my skin was very mad at me after I tried this one, too.
7. Yogurt: Not just for breakfast anymore! This food turned face mask for acne felt like moisturizer on my skin and I was intrigued. Then it started to smell strange and I had to take it off. Check that one off the list.
8. Baking Soda: Another DIY facial that was a bust. Mixed with water, I created a white paste that did nothing but make my face tingle. Like the yogurt facial, I had to take it off – fast.